Thursday 15 December 2016

Arrived!

TANZANIA ðŸ‡¹ðŸ‡¿

I’ve arrived safely in Tanzania .. leg one of my journey has started!

Dar-es-Salaam to Ifakara

I’d forgotten just how crazy bus stations are in Africa. I had been met by Sebastian, who is the force behind Kilombero Valley Ornithological Centre (KVOC), from the airport and overnighted in a hotel near the bus station ready for an early start. Normally one to eschew air-con I kept it on all night figuring it might be my last opportunity to be cool! Our bus was leaving at 6am, apparently along with the other 80 buses parked cheek by jowl with revving engines and competitive ticket touts! Following much tooing and froing we were finally free and on our way.

Another characteristic I’d forgotten was ‘Africa time’. The bus journey was supposed to be 6 hours but took 11½!  To be fair we lost time after a small shunt where we bumped a stationary bus. The depiction on the back wasn’t able to save them!

1 comment: